Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Whiney Wednesday

I'm tired and cold right now and it's making me cranky. I think I'm going to go take a nap for a couple of hours or at least until the phone rings because that's always what happens when I try to nap.

Let me get to the root cause of my grumpiness. As I've mentioned modern firearm deer season opened here on Saturday. I hunt with a shotgun so it's go time for me. I have a spot where I have been successful the last 2 years. It's public land, anyone can hunt there, I know this and respect it. I have no personal claim to the spot. Last night after kids got home from school I beat feet to get out there to the stand. You've got to get in, set up, and quiet before the deer start to move. Last night was the first night since Saturday that it wasn't raining like a mo fo. (Saturday I got so wet/cold  I was hypothermic when I got down.) Sat & Sun I had lone does come into the field, Mon there was a doe with twin fawns. I can only harvest a buck with a shotgun so I could only watch these beautiful animals graze and play in the field. Made sitting in the cold/rain worth it. :)

 Anyway, so last night as I'm getting out of my truck & getting dressed another hunter pops out of the power line cut. We talked for a few minutes and he basically indicates that he had just been tromping through the field that I sit and overlook. He said he saw a lot of deer sign, DUH!, but no deer. DUH!! You think they're going to just walk out in front of you in the open while you're walking through their dining room???? Um, no you idiot. I was pretty sure he'd just blown my chances of anything coming in for me but I still had to go give it a shot. I went in and sat for almost 3 hours. Nothing, nada, no deer not even a doe. Lots of birds flitting around in the bushes under my tree making a hell of a racket but that's a good sign that I was sitting quiet and unnoticed for the most part.

I know the guy had every right to be there but geez man, do your scouting before the season starts! You're messing things up for yourself and everyone else. I can only hope that my history will repeat itself again this year and the bucks just aren't coming out before dark right now but they'll start coming a little earlier in 7-10 days. Hopefully that jack wagon will be respectful and stay the hell out the area if he sees my truck parked there first. hahaha Who am I kidding? If it's not that guy it will be someone else at least until the weather turns foul again. Then the sissies stay home and only us dedicated hunters still go out.  *wink*

Wish me luck friends! I think I'm going to need all the help I can get to be successful this year!

4 comments:

Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom said...

I am impressed by your hunting skills! I don't hunt, but I grew up with a hunter and understand everything you're talking about. Good luck to you! And thanks so much for visiting my blog. :)

Tina@The BanditGirl said...

I have a whole family, including a buck that grazes my back yard every night. Beautiful creatures to watch. Good luck this season.

Kim said...

Good luck! Hope you get them. Hope the weather holds up for you.

I totally agree with taking a nap until the phone rings. That seems to be how it goes.

Julie said...

I'm not a hunter (for deer, I like grouse...they don't have big brown eyes and very long lashes) but the rest of my family is. Good luck Sarah. I hope you find a good 6-8 point buck just for your taking.
Thanks for stopping by today. I really needed to hear from friends. Thank you!
Take care and have a blessed weekend.