Thursday, November 15, 2012

Meet Maya!!

Andy is over the moon with excitement about his new girl, Maya. She was born September 22 and joined our family yesterday.
She was up for a lot of the night crying finally settling in for about the longest stretch of sleep between 2:30am and 5:00 am when Andy got up for work. He fed her, I walked her, she explored the house some with out the kids being all up on her, then suddenly sat down and cried a little. I sat down on the couch with her and gave her some love, she snuggled down between my side and the arm of the couch and went to sleep. I got up after a while but she stayed so I had to get a picture.

After I got the kids off to school we headed straight to the vet's office. She got a clean bill of health and a de-wormed. Don't ask how I know she needed that it was gross, just gross. We ran some errands to get her her own Kong toy, more training tidbits, and an extra large kennel for when she is grown then headed home.

I fed her lunch, walked her around the block with Buster and brought them back inside. They played a little then she disappeared off into the laundry room. This is what I found when I went looking for her.
I left her alone and snuck back over a couple minutes later to find her like this.
I guess that boot smells pretty good. I'm speculating that being crammed in there like that felt like a pile of puppies to her. Or her hunting instinct is just so strong she was drawn to the boots by it. Those are Andy's brush beating pheasant pants hanging over her.

I have never had a puppy-puppy before so this is all new to me. Last night wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating even though she was a mere 3 feet from me all night making those pitiful noises I was still able to sleep. While I felt for her I knew she was warm and safe just lonely.

Andy will be taking her to puppy kindergarten to start getting her basic training started in the coming weeks and then will eventually train her to retrieve ducks and flush pheasants.

Buster is not aggressive with her but has busted her chops a couple of times. He has also put himself in between her and I more than once. Grace the cat wants nothing to do with her and that's on par with how she feels about Buster too. haha



2 comments:

Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom said...

Oh, she is darling! And my daughter's name is Maya. LOL
Love the pic of her all cuddled up with shoes. I'm with you, it must've felt like a pile of puppies to her. Poor thing! Change is hard sometimes.

jennxaz said...

what a cutie pie..love the pics..especially in the boots!