Last night I received an email from a Ragnar team looking for someone to join their team to run leg #8 for them. You don't know how seriously I considered it before declining. Could me ankle handle it? Probably. Could I have run the legs? Maybe run/walk intervals. Would I have hurt myself doing so? Almost definitely. Even if my ankle held up my endurance is not where it was before my initial injury when I tore my calf muscle. First I was sad, then I got mad.
I am mad at myself for letting myself go. Sure, the torn calf muscle had me off my completely feet for 6 weeks. But I was ready to come back from that when a little bit of inattention coupled with a chronically weak ankle sidelined me again. I let the ankle sprain totally derail me. I could have been bicycling more, I could have been on the elliptical machine. I could have kept up on my cardio. I didn't, I played the injured card. I sat around doing nothing for the most part. I ate like a mad woman. I gained weight. I lost fitness and muscle. I let myself down.
I stopped exercising. I let my good eating habits go by the wayside. I was eating around my band all the time.
I haven't weighed myself since the morning after we got back. I was 171.7 on 7/3. I haven't weighed in since but I have started getting better handle on my eating and I've jumped back into exercise. I am diligently logging food on myfitnesspal. Think I'll start doing weigh-ins on Thursdays.
I came in from the elliptical this morning, looked at myself in the mirror and told myself, "You can do this! You will go back to the band rules. You will work out everyday. You will get back down to as close to 140lbs as possible."
I will not let another amazing opportunity pass me by due to lack of training again.
3 comments:
I can empathize with your frustration with yourself. I don't even have an injury to blame for letting myself slack off of exercising and watching my diet. After running my first half-marathon last year I just seemed to lose my mojo/enthusiasm/discipline. Of course, lots of things happened in my life - but there is really not a good for basically neglecting myself.
I finally got fed up enough with myself this week to get myself back on the fitness wagon. My daughter even agreed to start getting up with me and workout - and even said she would run with me occasionally!! This from my middle child who used to avoid running at all costs. So, there is hope!
I know that you can reach your goal again. And I have confidence that I will, too!!
Hang in there!
Good for you! Send that determination my way!
Anger is a GREAT motivator. I know because I'm currently using it myself. ;)
Way to get back on the bandwagon!
Post a Comment