I've decided to set my sights on half-marathon training.
I still haven't even run a 5k race and really have no intention of
running a half-marathon race. However I have found that with out a specific
goal in mind running gets a little monotonous for me. I found a training program in the August issue of Runner's World that I will be loosely following.
I also think that I
figured out what has been causing my hip to be so bothersome. My stride
length is too long! Today on my easy 3 miler I concentrated on keeping
my feet under me when bringing them down instead of way out in front. It
forced me to land on my mid-foot instead of my heels. My knees did not
fatigue like they do sometimes and my hip didn't hurt after! The hip hurting more at a faster pace makes sense since I was probably reaching even further out in front to generate the speed. Hopefully I can make the shorter stride a habit quickly and it helps me resolve the minor joint aches and pains I've been having.
6 comments:
good luck! maybe someday I can run again...
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm jealous!!!! I want to do a half marathon (never run a 5k either) in February, but have been plagued by severe pain in my hip area only to learn that i've probably torn my abdominal wall!!!! So am having to rehabilitate and strengthen before I can start training for that.
Good on you for getting going with the training and for figuring out how to run properly. A friend always teased me about my short stride 'jacked up run' but turns out mine is what others are now striving for!!!!
Will continue to follow your progress. When is the half that you want to do? We have a GREAT one with can't-be-beat scenery here in Nassau in January!!!! I'm just sayin.....
Glad you might have found the culprit!
Great news that you finally figured out the problem! :)
Great goal! Can't wait to hear about your journey. Good luck
Hi there! I totally think you should go for it. And let me tell you that once you take part in your first 5K you will totally want to do another and then a 10K and a half. thats how I started out on this crazy running journey!!! If you go back to my blog on Oct 2, 2011 there is a short video of my first 5k and some pics. I bet it gets you going!
Thanks for all your comments over on my blog. I am now following yours and look forward to reading through your journey!
Oh, and I used the Hal Higdons half marathon training schedule at the advice of lots of people. I saw that same training schedule in Runners world when I read through it and thought it seemed more complex than Hal Higdons? But I was almost done with my training at that point. Go online and check it out. I used the novice one. Hope this helps. Good luck to you!!! You can do this!!! And yes, a schedule is an awesome thing to keep yourself from getting bored...
Jennifer
www.wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com
Post a Comment