So I went out yesterday with a goal of running about 6 miles. Same spot as Thursday. I parked my truck, ran three miles away turn around and started to run the same route back. Easy peasy, right? It was all good right up until about the 4.25 mile mark, that's when I saw a dog like creature cross the road ahead of me. I looked around and saw no other humans that a dog might belong with so I decided it must have been a coyote. I don't know if coyotes jump runners but I wanted to make sure I at least saw him coming if he did. I was scanning the area where I saw him cross at about mile 4.5. I wasn't watching the road directly under me. I stepped half in a pothole with my right foot and my ankle turned. I had time to think, "Oh shit!" and then I hit the ground. Hard. When it all stopped I was splayed out like Superman. I looked at my palms first, raw and bloody. Ahh, man! I got up and checked over the rest of me; road rash on my left arm near my elbow, left knee driven into the pavement hurting, right ankle a little sore, left middle finger oddly stiff. I started walking knowing that there was no other way to get out of there, afraid to run because of my knee pain. About a half mile later I called home crying. Andy raced over to meet me at the truck. He cleaned and bandaged my hands and knee. I drove myself home with him following me. I jumped in the shower while he called the Dr's office. They said to do all the things we had already done, take some ibuprofen, and call for an appt if the knee was worse in the morning.
This morning my knee is barely sore, the scratches are minor, and the bruising appears minimal. It's my middle finger that hurts. Funny thing is, there isn't a mark on it. It appears that I jammed it somehow on the way down. The middle knuckle is swollen and stiff. I can type with it but putting anymore pressure than that on it hurts like a mofo. I can't curl it to make a fist. I can't decide whether it's worth a trip to the Dr or not because even if it's fractured there isn't much they can do but splint it. I can go buy a splint at the drug store for way less than my $25 co-pay. But I also don't want it to heal crooked. *sigh* Guess I'll suck it up and call when they open at 11am. I'll have them check the knee too while they're at it. Wish me luck!
UPDATE: The Dr checked my over thoroughly and sent me for x-rays of the finger(s). No breaks thankfully, he suggested taping it to my ringer finger for support while it heals and said if anything else starts hurting in the next couple of days to get checked out again.
11 comments:
That's awful! Glad you werent hurt worse or attacked by coyotes!
Oh man! I'm so sorry that happened! Youch! Hoping you heal up quickly, girl!
Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com
Sorry that happened!!... on the up side, you weren't eaten by a coyote! Glad for that!
Shame on that pothole!! I have mean potholes by me too. Glad you are feeling ok and nothing was broken. :)
You have just described my worst fear - tripping/falling while running. I'm glad you're okay and that you avoided the coyote!
Oh, I am so sorry. That is one of my worse fears. Glad the knee is ok and you weren't hurt worse.
ouch! Hope you feel better soon! You poor thing!
Heal quickly Sarah. Take care of yourself. Don't be afraid of a coyote, he's more worried about you then you of them.
Blessings my friend!
SO GLAD you are okay...i mean...NOW you're okay. So sorry you took a spill...not to mention got spooked...both are so not fun. Thanks for keeping us posted!...6 miles ROCKS
Oh no! I'm sorry this happened, sweetie. Coyote hunting time!
I hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment