Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Road Behind Me

I hit the roads for an almost 14 mile ride all by myself today. This is where I stopped to let a car pass me just before a narrow blind curve. I took the time to sip on some water and snap a picture of where I had just come from. Nothing profound to say about the road behind me really. I just thought it would be a good title for the picture and the road ahead of me right there was not very interesting.

I am pleased to say that although I did yell at a woman driving for not yielding, all in all it was a good ride. No, I didn't swear at her or say anything nasty, I just said, "You're supposed to yield to bikes too!" No dogs chased me like last week and no one yelled out their car window to startle me like when I was running on Tuesday. The weather is absolutely wonderful I would guess mid-60s, sunny, light breezes. Just divine for the Pacific NW at the end of September!!

Holly's homecoming dance is this Saturday. I'll be taking her to a local florist this afternoon to order the boutonniere for her boyfriend. Hopefully they can make something less expensive than what they were offering on their website. Sorry but $35 for 3 three roses, some filler, and some florist tape is a little ridic in my book. If not we'll head closer to town since neither of the local grocery stores even have a floral department.

Poor Buster completely broke off one of his toenails clawing at his crate on Tuesday while I was out running. Remember he chewed up my blinds the first/last time I left him alone loose in the house? He's been crated when left alone ever since. It really freaked me out so today when I went to ride I cleared out the kids' bathroom and put him in there instead with his favorite beanbag to sleep on, a bowl of water, and his Kong toy.  I was hoping he'd be better in there but wasn't going to be surprised to find scratches on the doors or trim pulled down. None of that happened! He whined at first and scratched softly a few times before I left but when I came home there was no evidence of a freak out. Hopefully this is a sign that he can make progress and eventually will stop being so anxious about being left alone. I really would like to let him have the run of the place when we're not here. Anyone ever deal with a dog with separation anxiety? I've been reading all kinds of advice online. I already don't make a big deal out of coming/going. He gets a special calming treat and a walk before he's left. I give him a Kong with doggy peanut butter in it to lick out which he loves. I really don't think there's much more I can do. Taking him with me everywhere simply is not an option.

Hmmm well I don't know much else. Since I did ten things on Monday there really isn't anything else to tell. I haven't weighed in over a week. My eating has been fair to good. I feel strong and healthy!

Hope all you BOOBS have a fabulous time with one another. Sure wish I could be there! Have fun and be safe!

Make good choices!



4 comments:

FreeJulie said...

The weather has been divine! Love it! Can't remember where you're at - we should get together for a ride (or run). I'm in Bellevue.

MBFL said...

It is amazing how many drivers are ignorant to sharing the road with bikers. Most think they should be on the sidewalk.

They make some medication for seperation anxiety. You can also try melatonin. We went through that with my Dexter and we had to do some desensitivation exercises (leave for a few minutes and come back after about 5 because that is when they are the most anxious). I think the med they use most is called clomicalm.

Anonymous said...

I have seen Victoria Stillwell on TV tell people to use a different routine when leaving. Leave by a diffrent door, not walking around turnign things off, moving your keys or purse.

Julie said...

The fall has been awesome. Love your bike rides. No more dogs bothering you? Cool!!!
Keep up the great work and blessings my friend!