Thursday, January 3, 2013

Boy Am I WHooped

It's been well over 6 years since I've been employed. I went on leave at 31 weeks pregnant with the twins and quit when my paid maternity leave ended. Until yesterday I lived the oh so cushy life of a stay at home mom. Yesterday I spent 6 hours straight on my feet changing over a seasonal card display. I had my trainer right there in the store so she walked me through it all. Today I spent a little over 4 hours doing the same task but at a different store. By myself. I am beat.

It's not just the physical labor it's the mental stress of not being completely trained and being asked to do this change-over on my own. Like with no one helping/watching/coaching me. Help was just a phone call away, but yeah, I was all alone. Panic city! I was up until 1am last night thinking about it.

I walked into the store and found it was in full blown inventory mode with a 3rd party inventory-er and everything! Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into my well thought out plans. I called my trainer and she told me to leave and go back tomorrow but store management said it was OK to go ahead. So I did. I did it. Probably waaaay slower than a seasoned merchandiser but I got the whole Valentine's Day display up! And it looked pretty damn nice if you ask me! (Of course before I could do that I had to remove the Christmas display too but that was "easy".)

And you know something? I'm going back tomorrow. It can't be any scarier or more stressful than it was today .... Wish me luck!


4 comments:

MBFL said...

The only way to learn is to just do it. You will get faster.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!

Julie said...

Good luck!! It's awesome you are learing so fast. I bet your displays are beautiful.
Take care Sarah. Blessings!!

Therese said...

Back to work after staying home for six years. Terrifying. Thanks for letting me read about this journey with you. I'm glad I found this blog.