Friday, December 3, 2010

Still Struggling with Clinic/Insurance for Surgery

Unghhhh Now the clinic tells me they can't give me a receipt for a service that I didn't pay for. Hello? I did pay for it remember the $8300 you asked for a week before my surgery, does that not count? Yes but no. I can only have a receipt for services I pay for at the time they are rendered.

Then she basically accused me of trying to defraud my insurance company by submitting double claims. Yes, they have submitted a claim for that $$ already, however they only billed it under the actual procedure code so of course it was only partially paid citing the rest was "over reasonable and customary" for the surgery itself.

I'm just trying to receive the benefits that I am entitled too. The way they bill for their services is preventing me from receiving those benefits.  She says the clinic has an agreement with insurance companies prohibiting them from billing for any after-care for 13 months after band placement, hence the lump sum billing. However, they are out-of-network for my insurance so does that really apply in *my* case??  Out-of-network to me means that there is no contract in place to specify the terms and billable amount allowed.

My insurance company has no such universal billing clause regarding after care for weight loss surgery as far as anyone I have talked to there can tell me. My understanding is that the procedure and after-care are allowable claims, *coded separately*.  (I can tell you 100% for sure they are covering all of my husband's follow up appointments for his gastric bypass with no problems.)

I'm not saying I over paid for my surgery, I'm just saying that the way I see it I am not being allowed to receive all the insurance coverage I am entitled to due to the way the clinic processed the billing based on a policy that may not apply to my insurance company specifically.

Edited: I just got off the phone with the Administrator for the clinic, her explanation made a lot more sense than the Office Manager's who just kept repeating the same thing over and over. They can't change the way they billed my insurance, they always bill it as a bundled package. They will provide me with the receipts I requested and she agrees with my logic/reasoning however the insurance company may not see it "my way". She cautioned me that I could be accused of fraud because they have technically already been billed for my aftercare. So I'm stuck, I still want to pursue the benefits I think I am entitle to but I certainly don't want to be accused of fraud by doing so.

4 comments:

-Grace- said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Grrrrrrrrr. What a pain in the rear. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. *HUGS*

Loz said...

We have some issues with Health care in my country (Australia) but they pale into insignificance with yours. Keep fighting.

Sam said...

I hope you can get this all sorted out soon.