Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where I Ran Today

Our weather has been a bit bi-polar around here lately to say the least. It rained for about 3 days and then we woke up to about an inch of snow this morning but with clear skies and sunshine it began melting off quickly. I decided I had to get out for a run even though I did a treadmill yesterday because who knows when it will be this nice again around here.
Out the backdoor this morning.



Holly stayed home not feeling well so I knew I could get out to run despite the twinks being home. I just had to decide where to go. I finally settled on what we call the Hay Fields. They are old County roads that run through farm land/hay fields that are owned by the local refinery and surround it on all sides. For security they are closed to vehicle traffic but are open for day use by the public.

 I actually started out on the main road but there's nothing neat to take pics of unless you like tanker trucks & such. This is just inside the first gate looking down the road, it slowly goes uphill and blocks the view to the next corner about a mile away.

The corner is on a bluff that overlooks the Strait of Georgia.
I think that is the tip of Saturna Island on the right, Patos Island in the middle, and Suchia Island to the left. And the taller one in the back on the left is Orcas Island.
Here is what you see when you turn around from the water.

I had just come from the right and was going to head towards the gate to my left. That way is a series of hills. Coming back I stopped here again to take off my gloves and jacket inadvertently stopping my Garmin in the process. Luckily these roads were set up on a mile square grid so I know I was a bit over 2 miles away when I finally noticed and hit start again. These hay bales caught my eye my first time by so when I passed them the 2nd time I stopped and snapped a picture.

You could hardly tell it snowed out here at all except for the little shaded patches that hadn't melted just yet. I saw a couple of red tail hawks and a bald eagle but knew getting a good shot would be near impossible so I didn't even try. I also saw a several dog walkers but no bikers today.

I just thought I'd share some of the beautiful landscape I saw today. Hope you enjoyed the show!

Live, Laugh, Love

8 comments:

Vanessa said...

Beautiful!

carla said...

see? and it almost makes me wanna run.



MizFit

Justawallflower said...

Wow, what a beautiful part of the country you live in, and makes for taking your runs to be all that much nicer and easier to do! All I have around here is neighborhood! No scenic views!

Reggie said...

What a pretty and peaceful place to run.

Anonymous said...

How great is it that you have such a beautiful place to run???

jennxaz said...

great pics you little workout nazi!

Janice said...

Such a variety of scenery to run in. Very peaceful! Good for the head and body! Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!

Andrea said...

Beautiful pictures! Good job on the running!