Saturday, March 31, 2012

I AM FULL OF AWESOME

Today was my race debut at the Birch Bay International Road Race. I have trained long and hard for this race. I took the last 2 days off training and have been careful about what I've been eating to avoid the dreaded runners' trots. I was successful in that arena though I did crop-dust an aid station. Sorry guys! So here's my recap.

I only live 5 mins from the venue and the race started at 8:30 but not knowing how long the lines might be for packet pick-up and knowing that parking was going to be an issue I left my house at 7:00. Since I was early I got a premium parking spot close to the start/finish. Hubby followed me over shortly after and kept me company in the cold until it was time to get going. Here I am waiting for the start:

They started us in waves with the fastest out first and the walkers/strollers in the back. I've heard races don't always do this so I was thankful. They called out for the 6 min, 7 min, 8 min, 9 min milers and let the rest of us start in groups of about 50 they were guessing. The clumps thinned out pretty quick. I found my rhythm and just ran. First mile 10:17 not bad, right on target. I don't know what happened because I didn't feel like I was pushing hard but mile 2, 3, and 4 came in at 9:58. 9:57, & 9:52. Too fast too be sustainable for me. I made a concentrated effort to slow down. Mile 5 -10:01, mile 6 - 10:16, mile 7 - 10:17, mile 8 10:14, and the homestretch mile 9 - 9:49. I turned on the after burners with 1km to go. Last .42 in 4:30. I know it's not 100% accurate as  I forgot to stop the Garmin as I came over the finish line but it's pretty close.I stopped it at 9.41 miles, 1:35:16. I can't wait to see the official results.


See that hill? We started by coming DOWN it.


I saw my mom sitting in her car just before 12km, she smiled and waved and I started to cry but I sucked it up and ran. Just past her my husband and dad were waiting and taking pictures. I started to cry again but I sucked it up and ran.


In the 13th km I came along side an older man. We ran together for a second and he said, "Good Morning!" A short chat followed and I spilled that I've only been running for a year, this was my first race, & that   on I'd lost 100 lbs in the past 18 months. He told told me I was doing great, not to hurt myself, wished my luck and then at 14km sped up and left me in his dust.

The last hill was brutal but I knew the finish was at the top just around the corner. I pushed on, not slowing down and finished strong.

I choked up when I heard the announcer say my name.


Here's my buddy congratulating me.



Not quite ugly crying but getting there.
Dad & his prize camera, me and my medal. :)



I DID IT. I trained my ass off for this and I DID IT. I am so proud of myself I almost can't stand it. Thank you to my family for supporting and encouraging me. Thank you to my blogger friends for supporting and encouraging me. You can do anything you set your mind to. You are full of awesome, and don't you ever forget it.

13 comments:

Vanessa said...

You are a whole ocean. Of awesome! Wow! You should be so proud of yourself! Those splits rock! I'm training for my first off road half marathon and I'm scerrrrrrd shitless! You are an inspiration! Loved reading this post!

Angela said...

Great job! Such an awesome accomplishment, one you will never forget.

Anonymous said...

You are such a rock star!! You have every right to be completely proud and stoked of your accomplishment!

~Sandi @ This one time at 'band' camp... said...

Awesome job, fantastic!!!

Finding My Moment said...

So I just bought a pair of running shoes and a sports bra today-- to train for my first 5k. I'm so glad to have logged on and read your post- encourages me to go for it. Thanks for sharing-- and FANTASTIC JOB! I hope to get a 5k under my belt- you ROCKED it!

Dawnya said...

This is so AWESOME!!! I teared up reading it. You did it Sarah. You busted your butt and you did it. I'm so proud of you!!!

Reggie said...

You are so AMAZING!!!! Congratulations to you Sarah

Kelly said...

Sarah - you are absolutely chock full of awesome, girl! My goodness, I teared up just reading that you teared up too! Congrats!

Tina said...

Wow..That is soooooooo great!!!

xxxooo

Jody V said...

Now this is dedication and motivation! Congratulations!

Jody

Andrea said...

Good job and congratulations! You are awesome!

Amanda said...

YOU.ARE.AMAZING!!!!! SO flippin proud of you!!!! Congrats on all your hard work!!!

Julie said...

WOW!!!! You are awesome, totally awesome. Such a great race. It was so nice to read your parents were there and hubby and also I'm not the only one that cries while she races.
You did so great. Congrats and more.
Blessings!!