| All ready to go! |
| Waiting near the starting line. |
The first 6 miles really flew by, I was on cruise control for the most part. Then the course started back up hill. I was really wishing I had some Gu or a Shot-Blok or some fuel right about then, I really could have used the energy boost. I thought, "Only 5k to go, you've got this! Just keep running!"
I chose not to carry water and just rely on the aid stations. I hydrated really well Friday night so the strategy worked out pretty well. Just enough water to keep my whistle wet and no potty stops necessary. :)
I focused on my breathing and how I felt rather than what my Garmin was showing and since I couldn't hear it alert at the mile marks anyway it was easy to ignore.When I knew I had a mile to go I shuffled up "How Bad do You Want It" and let it push me past several people until I saw the hill that lead from the boardwalk back up to the trail. I knew I couldn't sustain the pace which was pushing my heart rate up to 180 up that hill and not pass out or puke so I dialed it back to recover a bit before tackling it one step at a time. Then I shuffled up "Roar" and pushed on. With just under .25 to go a girl started to pass me and my Kenyan came out and I dusted her as we were coming up the shoot. Seeing Andy & Lydia waiting near the finish put a huge genuine smile on my face. I say genuine because it felt happy and real, not forced or kind of faked like when I smiled for the race photographer.
Unfortunately the camera dies just after this was taken.
| That's me back there on the left. |
So we stopped by the finish line for a make up shot.
Official chip time was 1:36:33, average pace of 10:22. Here's the break down of my splits:
10:45, 10:28, 10:21, 10:26, 10:15, 10:12, 10:33, 10:22, 10:16 & .3 mi 3:10
Killed it! Right in the middle between my other two 15k races. Overall I finished 443/668, 260/441 all females, and 32/58 in my division F35-39.
I think it's funny that organizers always say thins like, "Beautiful views of xxx." I don't know about anyone else but I am so not focusing on scenery while I'm running especially not in a race. LOL
Only thing missing? Medals. I like the bling, people! The fee for this race was low though so I'm not going to bitch about it.
Next race ... Ferndale Law Enforcement & Firefighters Trot 5k next Saturday. After that? hmmm maybe the Birch Bay Marathon.
3 comments:
Wow, just reading that made me tear up a little. So proud of you! I can't wait to be doing 15k's, having just finished a meseasley 5k last month! Defi ith something to look forward to. Than you so much for the inspiration!
You are amazing!!!
Great Job!!!
Post a Comment