Friday, September 27, 2013

Do Certain Songs Rip Your Heart Out

every time you hear them again?




I lost my dad to suicide February 10, 2009. We weren't close but I loved him and he loved me and that's all that matters. It was hard to lose him so suddenly and unexpectedly. I heard this song for the first time with in days of being notified. It's been a while but it came up on my ipod on the way home from the store today.

The last stanza still makes me ugly cry every time.

"Oh, why? There's no comprehending
And who am I to try to judge or explain?
Oh, but I do have one burning question

Who told you life wasn't worth the fight?
They were wrong, they lied, and now you're gone, and we cried"


2 comments:

Justawallflower said...

So sorry about your dad. I do have a couple songs like that. Even a Rascal Flatts song. "What Hurts the Most" that has me remembering someone that was very close to me at one time. And Travis Tritt "Tell Me I was Dreaming" for the same person, actually played on the way to that person's funeral. The Rascal Flatts song didn't come around for several years later, but still takes me back to that person. As much as the songs are gut wrenching, I appreciate that they bring back a memory of a person that was once such a huge part of my life and gets me thinking about them again.

Jody V said...

I cry everytime I hear that song. We've had too many teenage suicides in our town that I covered for EMS. It is heartbreaking. Sorry about your Dad.