My twins.
OMG I don't know if it's me PMSing or them being extra annoying but this week has been rough on the mom. Right now they are grounded from the Wii, why yes my FOUR year olds are grounded...from the Wii. They were playing yesterday and Lydia was taking all too much pleasure in not moving her character making the game slowly drag her around behind Averill's character making Averill shriek with displeasure. Then Lydia started hitting the "home" button pausing the game. Cue more shrieking. (It was Monday afternoon all over again.)I had had enough, I snatched controllers and declared them grounded. Grounding is really more of a parental torture device than punishment for the kids, you know. Top three quotes of the day today: "I'm bored. The only fun thing is Wii." "I'm boooooorrrrred." "I'm hungry." (Means I'm bored.)
The weather was nice so I took them to the park this morning. Lasted 30 minutes before Av had to use the bathroom, she only had to go until she was buckled in and decided we should go out to lunch or get a cookie at the coffee stand. *eye roll* We went straight home. Lunch for them was carrots with ranch and a bowl of cereal. Eh, they ate.
This afternoon I took them out to ride their bikes in front of the house. Playing in the road...another form of parental torture, but there's no riding getting done on a gravel driveway. They have been trained to get out of the street when a car comes by but Averill tends to panic. This time she tipped her bike over attempting a sharp u-turn to come back to the driveway. I grabbed her bike out of the way and the car passed. I looked up and she was headed towards the house, "I wanna go inside. *sob*sob*" It was really not a big deal but I guess it scared her pretty good.No amount of cajoling was getting her back on that bike.
Lydia on the other hand is riding as fast as she can in circles yelling, "I'm the best bike rider in the world!" and POPPING WHEELIES! OK so her front tire only comes up an inch off the ground when she does it and she still has training wheels but geez, can you say fearless?!
They are night and day different and have been since the day they were born. Lydia has always been the more outgoing, vocal of the two and Averill the more sensitive, quiet one. My favorite quote from my mom when they were babies is, "Lydia gets cranky so Averill gets a nap." They are fiercely defensive of one another to outsiders yet each will pick each other to tears too. Twin thing? Sister thing? Naw, I think it's a sibling thing. I see so much of my brothers and I in my little brood it's amazing. Now I know what we put our mother through. *wink*
![]() | |||||
| Lydia & Averill 1 or 2 days old, I was a little shell shocked still. Rough delivery. | July 2006 |
| Averill & Lydia - Summer 2009 |
| The Tribe - Summer 2010 |

10 comments:
Your kids are adorable...I totally get the punish the child punish the parent-it stinks!! Now that three of mine are adults however I understand about the investment of that pain and it helps (just a tiny bit) to keep me on it with my youngest.
How freaking adorable! I definitely think it is a sibling thing though. I, at times, hated my older sister, but anybody dare talk bad about her in front of me, it came to blows! I'm really glad my kid isn't the only one who uses hunger as an excuse just cause their bored. I tell her all the time, your not hungry, your bored! I actually finally broke down and let my husband get her a television for her room, but only so I could take it away when being punished. Is that wrong?
They are beautiful girls! Infact your whole family is! My sister and I are exactly the same way! Awful to eachother but really really defensive to the rest of the world! We love eachother really!
Thanks for sharing your family with us!
They are all gorgeous, mine aren't twins but they have been off of school/nursery for 3 weeks, 3 LONG weeks!!
You have some beautiful children!! They are so cute when they are that age.
Your twin girls are so cute! I can't imagine having twin girls...it would definitely be a lot to handle! I have a feeling there will be many more groundings in the future! :)
Oh how I wish I had twins! I suppose three is enough but twins are so much fun! I love your layout! :)
Cute cute girls! Fearless kids are frightening for parents! My daughter has taken to liking to climb things like she thinks she is a monkey goat! She just has to stand on top of things. .. and she is 10!!!!! Not, 3. And clumsy!
Good luck getting through your grounding :)
You have a gorgeous family :-)
What a precious family!!
Post a Comment