Monday, November 14, 2011

Stomach Viruses are Terrifying...

when you're Banded. Thursday evening I started to feel a bit off in the guts. A little bloated and crampy. I laid down on a heating pad and hoped it would pass. An hour or so later the feeling was worse and I was starting to get nauseated. Not good. I had a small bout of diarrhea and then nausea worsened. I started debating whether I should take take a phenergan pill or not. I didn't only because I knew it would probably come straight back up. Then I was freezing and shaking. I hunkered down in bed and attempted to sleep it off. I had no such luck unfortunately. I was up and down for a  while, pacing the bathroom willing myself not to vomit. Scary thoughts of my band slipping again and another surgery were rolling around my head.

Then all the signs of impending doom; sliming, coughing, then dry heaves that turned productive. I felt immediate relief from the nausea so I took some phenergan and hoped it would kick in before the next round started. But it didn't. It was a fitful night with little sleep between rounds of nausea and vomiting, fever, chills, and muscle aches. I took another phenergan around 3:30am and fell asleep again. When one of the girls came in an hour later I could tell things starting to turn around, I zombied through setting her up a bed on the couch and collapsed back into bed. Hubby's alarm went off at 5am and he went off about his day not comprehending (until later) the horrific night I had just experienced mere feet from him while he slept.

Friday there was no school but I had just the 3 younger kids home with me since Holly was at a friend's house. I know I slept A LOT, I made a point of sipping water all day when I was awake, I fell asleep in the tub twice, Wyatt made lunch for himself and the girls, Sponge Bob was on the TV in my room all day, the kids behaved very well and took turns playing on my laptop. When Hubby came home and realized what was going on he jumped in and took care of dinner, straightening up, laundry, dishes, and bedtime. I was coherent for about 2 hours after he got home then asleep again by 7pm until 4am on Saturday. I stuck to water and mooshies on Saturday.

I am now almost back to normal now, a little tired and a lot scared of getting sick like that again. I still haven't filled the Zofran rx I got at my 1 yr follow up with my surgeon. But as soon as we get a little money I am filling that bad boy. Besides not wanting to be hurting I kept thinking about not wanting to slip my band and all the possible repercussions of that happening including removal. I'm almost certain it didn't slip but am still on the look out for unusual sensations or anything else that might indicate a problem.

I am thanking my lucky stars that whatever it was seems to have started and ended with me.

Hope everyone else had a much better weekend than I did!!

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh I am so sorry you were sick, that sounds like it was terrible. I am not looking forward to the day I get the flu with my band either. Glad you are feeling better!

Dawnya said...

You had a hell of a night. I'm so glad you are feeling better. Just the thought of being that sick scares me.

I hope this never happens to you again.

Sam said...

Wow, so glad you seem to over that. I hope it has gone for good. It sounds like you had a terrible time with it. Knock n wood, I never get that sort of bug!!!!

Rhonda said...

I'm glad you're back to feeling better, I bet that was VERY scary.

Praying all will stay well with your band.

Tina said...

ouch..i hope you are feeling better. I have only had something similar twice since banding. One was a bug and one was food poisoning. Both are soooo scary I know.

The good news is I think our bands are stronger than we worry about!

xxxooo

Sarah said...

Glad your feeling better, does not sound like a fun weekend at all!

Kara said...

I think stomach viruses are the worst. Nothing makes you feel as bad as needing to vomit!

Hope you're feeling better!

Becky said...

Sounds horrible! I hope you are feeling better by now :)