Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Following the "Rules"

There are many, many, many "rules" in the game of life. We all  pick and choose which ones to follow regularly, sometimes, always, and/or never. Be they social rules, moral codes, or nutritional guidelines.

I came across a comment on a blog today that has my panties in a bunch. I am flabbergasted. Riled up. Offended even. I am not going to link to the blog or the comment but I am compelled to speak up.

If we bandsters all followed the nutrition "guidelines" all the time we probably would never have been fat in the first place, now would we? Just because we had a silicone band surgically installed doesn't mean we can automatically follow the rules/guidelines we were given by our surgeons without fail. They are not always "so easy to follow". I don't know about you but my surgeon put my band around my stomach, not my head. I still want to and can, if I so choose, eat things I know I shouldn't and I do. It happens. To us all. TO US ALL.

It will happen YOU, commenter who shall remain nameless. You will stumble. You will fall off the wagon. Please remember that. Don't beat yourself up about it. Get back on the band wagon. Shake it off. Blog about it. We'll be here to dust you off and give you a boost.






8 comments:

Sarah said...

so true.

Rhonda said...

Amen! If I knew how to just "push the fork away" I would have done that 15 years ago so I'd have never had to have the band. Boo on that blog entry or article.

jennxaz said...

so true..no fix for my head

Colleen said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

well said.

Tina said...

Well sure in theory..she might be right but like you said this weight gain and loss game is WAY COMPLICATED. We are human. We eat for lots of reasons-chemical, emotional, energy and more Im sure. Now mix all that up in a pot and throw one or more areas off and you have weight loss/gain/illness/all kinds of stuff.

My surgeon said to me early on that our brains will make you eat anything and like it if you are hungry enough. Having a calorie thermostat that is off (for any of the reasons above) can create a situation from hell.

The band has put my thermostat back on track and really changed what I like to eat too-this band helps us put a balance on all of that complication. sometimes following 'the rules' sometimes not but in either case I would still be overweight and probably close to or at 300 pounds if I had not had it done.

MBFL said...

I am just glad it wasn't a comment I made ;)

well said.

Rhonda said...

Ha! And by "blog entry or article," I obviously meant comment.( Jeez, I never remember what I'm saying as I type it.)

How many people's feathers can one blogger ruffle? Seems like everyone has an instance where they've been offended... it's really unfortunate.