Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ten Things

Ten Things Thursday Tuesday since I missed last week.

1. My laptop is screwed up, big time. It won't boot up and gives an error message about a driver failure. My research leads me to believe the kid named Not Me pushed the Dell Media Direct button repeatedly and it erased my operating system. I was hoping for a fix with my re-install disk(s) but that's not working either. My biggest fear is that the hard drive is affected and I may have lost some pictures since I haven't backed it up lately. There may be hope yet...I posted on FB and my cousin thinks he can send me a flash drive with an OS on it that will work.

2. It's been 8 days since the lice discovery and we haven't seen any more of them. Going to nit comb the previously infected again today just to be sure.

3. We've gotten 85% of our back to school shopping taken care of. The three younger kids are all done & Holly has gotten her clothes and a few supplies but I don't have a formal list for her so she's on hold for now. A friend turned me on to buying in bulk for things like paper, pencils, and glue sticks. I got my best deals from Office Depot and Costco. Less per item and free shipping so I didn't even have to set foot in a store. YAY!

4. I've been staying up late watching the Olympics since it's the only time I can watch TV.  Even super tired I can't turn it off until it's over at midnight. *YAWN*

5. Andy & I have been biking our butts off, like I said last night I logged 89 miles last week all but just less than 2 were biking miles. We've spent some time and money getting the bikes set up just so. I got new gloves, new to me  (from the free bin at REI) ergonomic grips, new pedals, front/rear lights for evening rides, and a carry bag for under my seat.

6. We also got Wyatt set up to ride with us too. I bought him a new bike less than 2 weeks ago but we had to return it because it was a piece of junk. An hour later we swung by a pawn shop and found a way better bike in used condition for less money than we had paid for the original. He rode almost 13 miles with us his maiden voyage Sunday night but opted out of riding last night saying his butt was too sore.

7. We're also working on getting the little girls off of training wheels. Lydia will figure it out first I'm sure. Averill just doesn't have the same gross motor skills and confidence/lack of fear her sister does. They're a little too big for the tag-a-long and trailer this year so it makes taking them along tough.

8. The kids are driving me batty. I hate how they can take my living room/kitchen from relatively tidy to disaster in less than 5 mins and don't seem to realize it. I really want to get them out of the house more but it's difficult to coordinate activities that all 4 will participate in that are low cost/free. As much as I am looking forward to school starting I'm tempering that with reality. School presents its' own set of challenges too.

9. My neighbor wants me to power wash and paint his dock. I said I would but now I don't want to. It's a fairly small job, but awkward and potentially muddy. Do I back out or suck it up and do it??

10. I had my first stuck episode in a long, long time last night. We got back from biking and I was hongray, I grabbed a boneless skinless chicken thigh out of the crock pot. I ate it too fast and didn't chew nearly well enough. Cue pain, sliming, and finally a total heave-ho of said chicken. Yeah, Obi Wan Bandobi is still in there. Guess I needed a little reminder.

Make good choices!!

Live, Laugh, Love!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the biking goddess

Sara said...

Been reading for a while, but I'm not sure I've ever posted. I am an occupational therapist and have probably taught somewhere between 50 -75 kids how to ride a bike over the years. Best plan is as follows.

Take off training wheels immediately. Take off PEDALS as well

Lower seat so that they can touch the ground

Practice the "Scooter bike" -- pushing and gliding, and pulling your feet up for as long as possible.

After they are comfortable, add ONE pedal back on. Continue one legged "Scooter bike"

Once they are comfortable on that, and able to steer a bit, (set up mini obstacle courses or whatever you can) THEN add the second pedal back on.

By this point kids have usually learned that they can in fact put their feet down if they feel off balance and learn to use their body as balance rather than depend on training wheels. Usually it takes just a few more sessions at this level and then they are off :-)

Anyway, love the blog! I'm newly banded and love reading about those who have already been there and done that!

Sara
www.bloggingthequest.blogspot.com

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

#4 - ditto. Addicting.

RockBand Barbie said...

I can't seem to turn off the tv before the Olympics are off for the night either. Thankfully they go off here at 10:00.

Rhonda said...

Hmm, is said neighbor paying you to do this power washing? If so, I say do it. lol But only b/c I'm broke and any way to make a buck, I'm all over it.