Thursday, August 16, 2012

2 Year Bandiversary

August 9th, 2010 was the day I was banded. I wrote a post on my first bandiversary you can read it here.

What can I say now that I'm two years post-op? It's still not easy. I still struggle. I am healthier now than I have ever been. I love my band and I am so grateful for the support and encouragement I have received from my family and my bloggy friends.

My weight is up from my lowest (& goal) of 140 lbs. I have been participating in the Run with Jess Lose a Half-Marathon challenge trying to drop 13 lbs. I've bounced up and down in the 9 weeks since the challenge started, my last weigh-in on Monday put me at 147 lbs. While I don't like the *number* on the scale you can't look at these pictures and tell me I look 7 lbs heavier than last year. Well, I guess you could say that but you better be able to run....fast. Oh crap I just realized that with my laptop crapped out I can't access my pics from last year very easily. They are saved on an external hard drive but I don't have time to dig it out and search for them. I'll just show you some shots I just took. mmmkay?



Dat azz is not clenched! YOWZA!

Sorry my head is a little chopped off, I'm blaming the photographer. I took these with the camera balanced on a stack of books on top of an overturned laundry basket, if I stepped far enough away to get my head/feet in the shots were blurry. I'll decided the clearer ones were better.

You can see some before shots in this post and my clinic "before & afters" on this post.

Now allow me to address #9 on my TTT list in more than one word. I am infinitely more active now than I ever was prior to being banded. I can't sit still these days, I feel like I need to be up or out doing something at all times. I get antsy if I go more than a day with out breaking a sweat for a good 30 minutes. I get anxious when my workout plans get delayed/sidetracked by unexpected things like Andy getting home late from work or kid issues. It's almost like I'm addicted to endorphins like I used to be addicted to food. Now don't get me wrong I haven't conquered my food issues completely but I obviously have a much better handle on dealing with them now. On the other hand when a workout/exercise stops being fun and feels like a chore I have no problem stepping back and taking a break. See #'s 2 & 3 on TTT. 

Thank you Obi Wan Bandobi, you were my only hope. And you came through with flying colors.

Here are some things I've learned and followed these past two years:

  • Solid protein first! Fruit/veg next. Stay away from starches, bread, pasta. If you can not tolerate solid food you are too tight. Nothing good can come from staying that way. Seek help from your surgeon/clinic asap.
  • Eat real food. Unless you really have no other choice stay away from processed/frozen/boxed crap. Your portions should be small enough that there is no cost saving to buying these over making your own meals.
  •  Eat food that tastes good. Buy the full fat mayo and real butter. You're not going to be eating much of it at a time, so what if it has a few more calories than the "light" stuff, that stuff tastes like the chemical crap it's made out of.
  • Don't drink your calories. If you are adjusted properly you should be able to hit your protein goal with out resorting to protein/meal replacement shakes.
  • Exercise, exercise, exercise. Start small, give yourself little goals to achieve you will get better, stronger, faster, leaner, & healthier.
  • The band is about satiation, not restriction. When you are adjusted properly your hunger should remain satiated for 3-4 sometimes even 5 hours at a stretch after eating a solid meal. 
  • Eat slowly, chew well.
  •  You almost can't drink too much water. Sip, sip, sip.
  • I have found logging my intake helpful and still do it pretty regularly.
  • I have found logging my exercise minutes/miles to be exceptionally gratifying and fun to look back on.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.


Live well, Laugh often, Love Much!!

12 comments:

Cheri said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share what you have learned. Wonderful post.

Liz said...

Happy Bandiversary!!!

jennxaz said...

You know I have been logging my food and it is cool to see how my calorie intake changes during the month but I just recently started logging my exercise and it is amazing to see the progress...and the most fun! Happy 2 yr bandiversary!

Kelly said...

Happy Band-iversary, Sarah! You look absolutely fantastic!

MBFL said...

I always like to look at before and after pictures and stories. People look so much different...not just in the weight loss arena but the light in their face and the change in attitude. Know what I mean?

RockBand Barbie said...

Daannnnngggg....you have a hot little tooshie!!!!

Jody V said...

Happy Bandiversary! You look amazing!

Rhonda said...

I'm jealous of your booty! LOL

Happy bandiversary. :)

Kelli said...

Happy 2 year Bandiversary!! You look amazing and are a true inspiration. Thanks for the reminder tips, very helpful.

Unknown said...

You are looking awesome!! Way to go!

Sarah said...

Happy bandiversary! And I think your ass looks just great! lol ;)

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Harmony said...

Happy Bandiversary! Love you list!