Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Anger Update

Sorry it's been a busy week around here and I've just now gotten a few minutes to write this update. :) I spoke to the Prosecutor on Friday morning. He didn't have the case file in front of him, wasn't familiar with it, and was unable to pull it up with the limited information I had. But my description of what happened intrigued him and made him want to find it. Especially when I mentioned that she's still driving. Here's what he told me in a nutshell:
  • She is probably charged with Reckless Driving, Destruction of Property, and Leaving the Scene.
  • Her court date is probably coming up and the defender is preparing his case.
  • Holly doesn't have to talk to the defense if we are not comfortable with it. We can request they go through the prosecutor's office to arrange a meeting.
  • It most likely will not go to trial, 90% of these type of cases don't, if that's the case they probably won't interview Holly.
  • She's probably been advised not to speak to us since an apology could indicate admission of guilt.
  • We can write a victim impact statement if we would like to.
Holly did say that she wrote about the near miss in her written witness statement so it is in the report somewhere.

Overall I was impressed with the Prosecutor, he was thorough in answering my questions. Unless I can find out her last name it's a waiting game at this point. Of course her daughter hasn't been over to my house since the day before the calls so I haven't been able to ask her. They are renters so I struck out with a real property records search. Yeah, I'm a little bit sleuthy. hee hee

Thanks for the supportive comments!

Edited to address Kelly's question in her comment, here's my response to her:

 I was going to ask about getting a copy of the police report myself but didn't because of what a friend on FB told me. (She works at the DA's office in Alaska.)

" If this is an active case currently being prosecuted, the police department probably won't give you a copy of the report while the case is active. The reason if simply because if a case hasn't gone to trial, it could jeapordize the case by giving out the reports. When you prosecute a case, you do not want the witnesses to have access to anybody's else's information, social security, addresses, phone numbers, etc and when they testify at trial, you want them to testify to what they know or remember, not what they may have read in a report so here, APD will not give anyone reports until they are redacted, taking out anyone's personal information, and after the case is closed with the court."

I don't think she was actually arrested, just cited. My local town paper (all of 8 pages, once a week) puts the police blotter for the town but I technically live in the county so the County Sheriffs came, they don't post a blotter anywhere that I know of. Searching is being made difficult by not knowing her last name.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I don't know too much about this kind of thing, but aren't police reports and arrests matters of public record? Sometimes in my local paper, these kinds of offenses get printed and reported, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to look through the archives online of your paper. I don't know if you've done that already. Everything is online now, what with Facebook and Twitter, so I'm positive there has to be a way to find out more information. I would be all PI about it, too. :-) Good luck!