I didn't mention it here but a couple of months ago Holly went with Lydia for a ride around our block on their bikes. As they got to the corner nearest our home Holly saw a car coming up the road. It swerved right, taking out a couple of mail boxes then over-corrected and came to the left straight at them. Holly was behind Lydia (who wasn't paying attention of course) and used her front bike tire to nudge Lydia's back tire to get her off the road onto the grassy shoulder just in time. The car continued on, parking at a home on the circle just behind our house. Holly came home & told Andy, he hopped on his bike and went to the house and watched the female driver rouse herself out of a stupor and then stumble into her house. He called 911, dispatchers said they had had reports of the same vehicle driving erratically/unsafely on nearby I-5 & the roads leading to our neighborhood. We assumed she was drunk. Deputies from the Sheriff's Dept came who called for an ambulance. Deputies told us she blew zeros on the breathalyzer and was claiming to be suffering a diabetic emergency so she was taken to the hospital for evaluation.
What could have been a horrible tragedy wasn't, but only because of Holly's quick thinking and actions. I don't know if she got behind the wheel knowing she was having a problem or it hit her while she was driving but she made the wrong choice to try to make it home.
I'm bringing this up because earlier today I got a call from her Public Defender. Basically he wanted to know if Holly knew the people whose mailboxes were hit and if they had been repaired/compensated for the damage. I told him I didn't know them off hand but when she came home from school I'd have her show me because again and call him back. I talked to Andy and he doesn't want me to call back at all. I want to at least call and demand that she apologize to Holly. (Lydia doesn't comprehend the severity of the situation.)
Even though he didn't ask I also told him my understanding of what Holly witnessed. He seemed a little surprised when I mentioned the near miss. This is what's is bothering me the more I think about it. Is the fact that she nearly hit my kids not in the police report?! Now I want to see a copy of it but my friends on FB tell me I may not be able to get until after the trial, if it goes that far. I'm thinking I should call the Prosecutor's office just to be sure they are aware of the near miss and not just the property damage. Do you know what kind of information I need for them to find the case I'm talking about? I don't know the lady's last name, I do know the date of the incident though.
I just want her to realize and acknowledge that her actions could have had much more severe and devastating consequences than just two damaged mailboxes. I could have two children still recovering from injuries or possibly dead because of the choice she made.
Edited to add: I just left a voice mail for the prosecutor asking for information about what is going on with the case. Hopefully he'll call me back.
5 comments:
I think leaving a message for the prosecutor's office is important and the right thing to do. As long as you know the location (town) and the date, they should be able to find the information without much trouble at all. You can also file a supplemental report with the police at any time, especially since you think that they may not be aware of almost hitting the kids. This is not about vengeance -- it is about getting the woman to understand the severity of the situation and to not drive in such a state ever EVER again. Also, you may want to contact the local victim's advocate office as they can help explain the process and such should the DA want to charge her with a crime related to the situation. That would also be your forum to address her publicly or (as most people do who want to speak) in a letter. Best of luck-- but definitely follow your conscience on this one-- who knows what could happen next time?
Oh my. He better call you back! Thank goodness nothing happened to the kids.
I'm glad your girls are safe.
People don't think about consequences when they do things like this. I don't even drive when I'm tired, much less would I when I was diabetic and feeling a fit coming on. Hell no.
I hope Holly does get an apology from the woman. :(
Sarah I am so glad that your girls are alright. I have no sympathy for anyone who drives in this condition. I hope Holly gets her apology.
Post a Comment