Dropping from 1200-1300 calories to 1000 sounds pretty simple, right? Just cut out the snacks, right? In theory it is, but not to my tummy! It's only been three days and I get so hungry in between meals! I'm drinking my water or Crystal Light Lemonade in between and take it away from myself while I eat and for 30 minutes after. Trying to get used to that Bandster "rule" ahead of time since I habitually drink while eating. For me the flavor of my drink is part of the overall taste of my meal. KWIM? I love the contrast of a sip of sweet lemon aid or diet pepsi after a bite of savory meat. mmmm But it can be no more. I know that lots of other Bandsters don't follow this rule to a T but it's part of my clinic's regimen that has seen a lot of success so I want to give it a shot. Also I'll do it because I am a rule follower, it's just a part of who I am. (Not that it has much to do with banding but I have always been offended by those who ignore "the rules" and/or exploit gray areas for their own benefit especially when I get the shitty end of the stick as a result.) Who can argue with these??
I haven't been as active this past week as I had hoped to be. Not that I sat around like a lump and did nothing but The Boy had a drawing class in town (30 mins away) four days last week which meant I spent a lot of time driving. I ran errands, shopped, weeded the garden, cleaned, and so on but didn't get out to specifically exercise. The scale reflected it too, no movement down but it didn't go up either, so I think I did OK.
Yesterday I cleaned out Dh's closet. Anything 3x and over got the old heave ho! Have I mentioned he's a pack rat? OMG he had stuff in there that hadn't seen the light of day in at least 4 years! We hauled 5 bags of clothes out to the donation bin. He's down 115lbs now but hasn't got his head wrapped around his new body just yet. We went shopping for him today and I had to convince him that he didn't need 2X swim trunks and that an XL would work. Of course he shops like a man and refused to try them on until we got home and lo and behold they fit! He was genuinely surprised I think. He recently had a follow up appointment where they did labs and everything but Vitamin D came back in the normal range so they gave him an Rx for some super potent stuff that should bring his level up. I am so proud of him!
After nearly two years of talking about it and postponing my mother in law is finally moving down from Alaska! We've been planning it with her for a while; we purchased the camper, that we just vacationed in, last year with the intention of her living in it. But she wanted one more Alaska summer fishing season, wanted to make a little more $$, wasn't ready just yet, etc, etc. Well, it is finally time, I wish the circumstances were better but it is what it is. See, she had colon cancer 2 years ago. She is now cancer free, as far as we know. A recent scan showed spots on her lungs. Her Drs don't want to biopsy at this point, they want to scan her again in three months to see if the spots have grown. Her history of smoking, emphysema, and cancer don't bode well for a benign diagnosis do they? We'll all be glad to have her around for as long as we get to.
Live, Laugh & Love!
6 comments:
Yes, follow the rules! That rule is a hard one but do it 99% of the time and you will be happier, I promise! :)
wow... you're certainly going to have your hands full as you head into your surgery and post op. but sounds like you have the right approach to handle it all. i'm not having surgery until sometime in september, but i have a feeling my nutritionist is going to start cutting me back from my 1300 calories she's had me on for the past moth starting this week. she's also warned me that i'll be doing one day a week of liquids to start prepping well in advance for that surgery-related joy.
Bet you can't wait to start clearing out your closet!!!! Good luck
Re: feeling hungry. Can you cut your "meals" in half, then split the food up for later?
For instance, let's say you're doing this:
8 a.m.: Eggs, toast, OJ
Noon: 6 inch subway sandwich
7 p.m.: Grilled chicken, veggies, rice.
Total: 100 calories
INSTEAD you could try doing this:
8 a.m.: Egg and OJ
10 a.m.: Toast with some peanut butter (seek protein)
Noon: HALF of your 6-inch sub
2 p.m.: The other half of your 6-inch sub
5 p.m.: Half of your chicken and veggies.
7 p.m.: The other half of your chicken and veggies
Total Cals: 1000
It's the same food, same amounts, but small portion sizes, and split up throughout the day.
Just an idea.
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
Good idea Christine. Think I'll try that today. :) Thanks
Regarding not drinking while eating, I get completely naseous almost every time I attempt to drink after eating. I've heard others have the same issue. I can't imagine drinking with meals for that reason.
Why are you dropping your calories down from 1,300 - 1,000? I ate about 1,300/day until I had good restriction and now I'm usually around 1,000. I lost plenty of weight at both caloric levels. The main difference is that now the 1,000 calories is about all I'm hungry for and all I can eat per day (unless I have a dessert or something special). I believe the band should be less of a diet and more of a life-style. In other words, I probably wouldn't have ever dropped my calories down if I hadn't simply become unable to eat more. The band is working for me rather than me working for it.
My prescribed pre-op diet will be a very limited 873 cal/day for a week (which will start 2 weeks from today), I just didn't want to have to drop from 1300 to 873 overnight.
Post a Comment