Friday, July 30, 2010

Holy Crap! 10 days out! (and catching up)

Wow it's getting so close now. 10 days from today. Eek! I am soooo excited with a small side of nervous. Surgery is surgery and it comes with risks, that's what I am nervous about.

I've been sticking to 1000cal/day for a while now and have been bouncing around 215-218. I've been PMS eating the last couple of days so I'm not surprised.

I start my prescribed ultra low calorie diet (870/day) on Monday. The clinic sold me a bag of Bariatric Advantage protein shake powder just for this. I can have 3 shakes and one 380 calorie meal or 4 shakes and one 230 calorie meal. For the meal they suggest a frozen Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice, or Lean Cuisine entree. Yum? Um, no, not so much. But I'll do it. And I will do it well.

My mother in law arrived yesterday afternoon to take up residence in our driveway. I am surprisingly OK with this, it's something we've been planning for for quite some time. Her health is more unstable than we had thought and that's a definite bummer. She went through colon cancer treatment and while she has been deemed cancer free she is still having issues with her digestive system. It's to be expected of course, with all the surgery, chemo, & radiation treatments she went through but we need to get a handle on it if at all possible. I'm doing some research into what she should and shouldn't be eating since I'll be doing the shopping and cooking for her now too. Anyone have any resources they can point me to? Thanks!



Live, Laugh, Love

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Have you ever had those frozen meals? I actually buy them all the time because I love them. They have pizzas, panini sandwiches, just a ton of really good things. I am surprised to hear that you don't like them, hopefully you can find ones you like, I actually haven't found one I don't like... they make them very good.

Miss Tori said...

If you can have that many calories for a meal, I'd not waste them on a frozen dinner, although they can be good.

I'd go with tilapia with steamed veggies.

Or chicken breast with mashed cauliflower.

A nice medium rare steak with steamed broccoli.

Or even a lean hamburger patty with a slice of good cheese, thick cut red onion, lettuce, tomato and pickles with a bit of BBQ sauce on it. Serve it with a side of sweet potato fries, baked not fried.

As long as you are keeping track of your calories and know how many calories are in the food you eat, I'd eat home made meals during the last of your pre-op diet rather than the boxed meals, as it will be a little while before you can enjoy them again.

During my pre-op which was a solid food, high protein, low carb, I had lots of steak, chicken, fish, pork chops, etc. Lots of green salads, cauliflower and other low carb veggies. Balsamic viniagrette was the way to go for me!

You'll do great during the last of your pre-op, and before you know it, you'll have a band in ya!

Stacey said...

Good luck with your surgery!

I hope your mother in law gets better and goes easy on you! I know my mother in law certainly rules the roost when she is here! (Thank goodness it's only every other year and she doesn't speak much english!)