Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Today's progress & other stuff

I called and made an appt with my pcp so that he can order my EKG and labs. Go me! I made a call with out procrastinating for a week. Deadlines are helpful for me in that way, I knew if I stalled I might not get them done in time for the results to be ready and faxed in to the surgeon in time to keep my date. Going in on 7/20 at 7:30am. Will get those done as soon as possible after they're ordered.

Amanda pointed out that my surgery date is 8-9-10 (and happens to be her birthday). How cool is that??

My mom is cleaning her closets and is bringing me back some tops I gave her a while back when I out grew them. They should fit again in a couple of months. :)Wanna hear the funny part? She bought them for me just after the twins were born and I was under my pre-pregnancy weight and nothing I had fit. I get the same clothes for free 2x! Whee!

I was looking over the paperwork I was given at my consults again last night. I found the sheet about the 7 day pre-op diet. I knew it was 2-3 shakes (They sold me a bag of Bariatric Advantage when I was there just for this.) and a Lean cuisine but didn't realize that they are aiming for 873 calories or less. Holy shit that's next to nothing! The goal is to loose 5-10 pounds in a week. I think I'll start doing 1000 calories now so the 873 isn't so drastic a cut. I've been shooting for (and achieving) 1300 or less for a while so 1000 shouldn't be too hard. Baby steps, right?

My cousin's wife passed away yesterday, just shy of 24 hours after being admitted to hospice. The whole family is heartbroken. It was expected as her recent bone marrow transplant had failed but surprising in that it happened so soon after stopping treatment and so quickly once she started having uncontrollable pain. I never met her in person but the way she battled and lived her life despite her disease have left a mark on me.

Live, Laugh, & Love!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

So sorry about your cousin. That is cool that you are getting surgery on 8-9-10. Mine was 10-2-10 (Feb 10). I guess there will be some on 10-10-10 which is my wedding anniversary. Numbers are so cool.

You will be so happy with the band. I didn't find the calorie cut that bad since it was low carb for two weeks. The body becomes accustombed to the low calories. But the pre-op is still the hardest part the the whole thing.

Island Bandit said...

sorry about your cousin, but it's good she didn't suffer in that extreme pain for long.

Congrats on getting ready for your big day! I'm meeting with my surgeon for the first time on Thursday and hoping he'll give me a date so I can get the ball rolling too!

Janelle said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.

2 shakes and lean cuisine is the same thing I had, although my doctor let me have lettuce and spray dressing salads if I got hungry. I did a couple days beforehand also to get myself ready for it, I think that is a good idea! Remember, pre and post op diets will SUCK and you just have to remember that. You will be a little miserable, but it is ALL worth it and one day you will look back on those days (like I am now) and be glad you got through it!! You can do it!! I promise!

Amaris said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. My dad passed away after about 36 hours in Hospice. In fact, we were told that most patients are there less than three days.

Congrats on getting a surgery date. And thanks for the nice comment on my blog about my pre-op diet. I think taking baby steps down to 873 calories is a good idea. I think that's what I would do, too. Day Two of the pre-op diet isn't too bad for me. I hope it all goes this easily!

Amaris said...

PS -- I tried to follow your blog, but I get a message saying "Request URL Too Large". I'll try again from a different browser later.

Amaris said...

Thanks for the support about my insurance approval. I am just giddy, if you can imagine! Unlike you, I had to jump through all my hoops before I could a date, so this has been a long time in coming.

So cool about the tops, too! I have been this size for so long (sometimes it has fit better than others!) that I have no old clothes to look forward to. Actually, now that I think of it, I have one pair of jeans, three or four sizes smaller than I am now. I saved them because they are too cute and fit really well for about 10 minutes.