* What would you say is the most important lesson or lessons you've learned about eating since you've been banded, and how has this contributed to your weight loss?
#1 is undoubtedly portion control. It was involuntary after my first fill but now that my band only has 2ccs in it and I have no restriction I can eat whatever I want, just not as much as I want. "Moderation not deprivation" is what I've been practicing.
* How are you sustaining your motivation to continue forward?
I don't ever want to be 243 lb Sarah again. I have worked my ass off, quite literally, I can not and will not throw all that hard work away!
* If you've experienced any discouraging set back moments, how did you deal with them, how long did they take to pass-- and what sort of specific strategies might you suggest that could work?
I was diagnosed with a slipped band in late April and even though I was already at my goal weight it was terrifying. Especially when my Dr told me flat out I would have to have surgery to repair it. As much as I was scared to lose the tool that helped me be so successful I couldn't imagine getting that sick again. I had decided that if I was having surgery either way I'd rather have it removed than possibly face more complications and/or a 3rd surgery down the road. Things started to get better when I went back in and my band was back in its' proper spot and surgery was off the table. I had a 2cc fill that day but have z.e.r.o. restriction. I'm scared to have another fill so at this point I am relying solely on myself for that all important portion control I need. I keep a food log on livestrong.com to help me visualize my calorie intake. I track my fitness activity there too, it keep me accountable to myself. I hate looking back over my profile and seeing empty (very, very rare) or incomplete days.
* Have you ever worried about being a complete failure at the band, and then gotten over that worry-- if so: did you tell yourself certain things that helped or do certain activities that reassured you?
I worried from day one I would be one of the unlucky few who the band doesn't work for for whatever reason. I found reassurance in watching the scale drop every week. It was the ultimate proof that the lifestyle changes I was making were the right ones. Now seeing the scale stay about the same and how I feel after running nearly 5 miles reassure me I am still doing the right things.
* What is the proudest accomplishment you've made relative to your band journey thus far?
When I completed the Couch to 5k program and was able to run 5k without stopping in just under 33 minutes. Someone asked if I'd been shot out of a cannon! :)
* What are you looking forward to doing next in your journey?
Completing the Bridge to 10k program! Toning & tightening with weight lifting.
* Where do you see yourself 1 year from now and how are you planning to get yourself there?
A year from now I see myself as a more accomplished runner, hopefully with a race or two under my belt. I hope to be leaner and stronger. I plan to get there with dedication to hard work!
* What sort of goal setting do you do in general, and how do you motivate yourself to keep going towards those goals?
As far as weight loss I have always been an eye on the prize kind of girl, my only goal was to get down to 140 lbs.
- Phase 1 - Get to Goal Weight (no specific time line)
- Phase 2- Tone Muscles & Maintain Weight (for life)
* What is the most difficult thing about having the band and what makes it worth it anyway?
For me it's having an ultra sensitive stomach. Unknown to me my band was too tight and I got into a cycle of irritation and swelling that led to severe vomiting and a slip. When it was right things were great when they weren't it was utter hell. Proper adjustment helped me form good habits that are helping me now that my band is wide open. The too tight times taught me (and hopefully others) that eating while banded should not be an exercise in torture, if you avoid eating or have to rely on liquid calories or sliders YOU ARE TOO TIGHT. It was only happening to me during a certain time in my cycle but I thought it was "normal". It is to a point, I let it go too far. Nothing good will come of it, I promise.
* Given the choice, would you be too tight or too loose and why? How would you handle either situation if you couldn't get in to your doctor for 4 weeks?
Too loose, see my answer above. It's also not a situation that puts you at risk of anything but overeating so I'd just deal with it until I could get in.
I don't know what I would if I couldn't get an appointment right away for an un-fill. My Dr's office is so anti-too tight, they got me in same day squeezed in in between other people when I needed it. I couldn't get there fast enough, in their opinion, after I wound up in the ER.
* What are your 3 to 5 'desert island band foods'-- things you WOULD NOT/ could not/ don't want to live without? What do you eat virtually every day and why?
Do you mean band friendly or unfriendly foods I would take to a desert island? Either way here's what comes to mind:
- Bread in any form - I can eat it with out consequence now so it is one of my moderation foods, I could eat it every day but I choose not to.
- Salad - I have a new found love of salad and veggies to go in them. YUM!
- Bacon Cheese Burgers - Another moderation food.
- Eggs - I eat them nearly everyday. Good protein, pretty filling, quick, & easy!
* How many meals do you generally eat per day and at what times?
3 meals per day:
breakfast *7-8am depending when I get up
lunch *11-noon depending on when I had breakfast
dinner *5-6 or a little later depends when I am expecting my husband home
Late afternoon is my snacking danger zone. I am careful to keep apples, bananas, carrot sticks, and/or celery sticks on hand. Keeps me out of the "bad" stuff like crackers, chips, & bread.
* Do you exercise, and if so, about how much? Do you think exercise has been pivotal to your weight loss?
YES! Last month I logged 1142 minutes of fitness that includes running, walking, mowing my yard, sporadic use of Jillian Micaels 30 Day Shred, 1 solo gym trip, and Power Pump classes.
I don't believe I'd be anywhere near my goal if I hadn't started exercising and taking it seriously at the very beginning of my journey.
Dinnerland (Vanessa?), thank you for these questions. I'm glad you asked! If my answers inspire, motivate, or help even just one person in there own weight loss journey, banded or not, I will be a happy gal!
4 comments:
Thank you for posting! Great information!!
Thanks for the wonderful and thought provoking answers... yes, it is Vanessa, but I often go by "DL" for short as I try to keep my identity somewhat anonymous (if I were trying THAT hard, I wouldn't post my pictures though!)
Anyway: you are a huge success and reading your story really helped me a lot.
Awesome work on the running, isn't running an amazing exercise???
Thanks for posting this! I liked your comment about "Moderation not deprivation"!
Sarah, I just wanted to say I have been reading your blog and I am very impressed woth your running program. You should be so proud.
Post a Comment