Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's Time to Go

I spoke briefly last year of my Nana being terminally ill. At the time she had suffered a fall and broken her leg, the subsequent care she received revealed congestive heart failure and kidney damage/failure. The last year has been quite a roller coaster for the whole family. My mom and all of her siblings took turns living with and caring for her while her leg mended. She was able to go back to her home for the Summer and had a last Christmas there as well. It was what she wanted.

Last week she was admitted to the hospital and put on dialysis where she has deteriorated further. She had no interest in eating at all. I received the news yesterday that she is now in complete kidney failure and isn't "there" anymore. She has moments of lucidity and will respond to those around her but doesn't initiate anything. My Pop-pop has made the heart breaking decision to discontinue dialysis and have her taken to hospice. She is so frail it probably won't take the week they usually "give" renal patients when they go to palliative care.

I don't think I'll make it there before she dies but I will be going for her funeral. Luckily we have 2 relatives in the airline industry so we (myself and several other Lower 48 family members) can get buddy passes for the flights. We have no $ for a hotel for me even if I could share a room with someone, so I think I'll be begging couch space from some old friends from high school.

*cry*cry*cry*

7 comments:

SkinnyGirlSetFree said...

Sorry to hear this...I will pray for you and your family.

Ms. M said...

I'm so sorry. I know even when its expected, its still never easy. Will be praying for you and your family. Safe travels & big hugs.

Sam said...

I'm sorry.. I know it is just as hard when you know it is going to happen.

{{{HUGS}}} for you and your family.

Amanda said...

I am so sorry! I know how very hard this is as we went through the same things recently with my grandparents! Thinking of ya!

LDswims said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((HUGS))))

Amanda Kiska said...

So sorry Sarah! That really stinks!

Sandy said...

I am so sorry. Your title reminded me of the Song by Andrea Bocelli-It's Time to Say Goodbye. It is such a moving song. Wishing you strength for the next few weeks.