Band Groupie & Amanda asked what the blood I vomited had to do with the slip. My Dr thinks that it was probably from my stomach lining being severely irritated. His speculation didn't go into detail. I imagine the force of the almonds coming up could have caused some bleeding, or the stomach itself being pinched in the band, or it could have had something to do with the Flexeril I took digesting in my pouch and not being able to pass through. Sorry if this is TMI but the first 2x I vomited at 3am there was a distinct chemical after taste, all subsequent episodes had a copper after taste.
Amanda also asked what I am going to do now. For now, or at least the next 3 weeks nothing different than what I have been. They will be an experiment in maintenance with out the tool to back me up. I am still tracking my food on livestrong .com & exercising as much as my back & my schedule allow. As to after that, I have gone back and forth on whether or not to have the repair or removal. Either way I'm having surgery again which is something I really can't afford to do right now. After looking at the pros and cons what my decision will boil down to is asking myself this question:
Are my body and the Lap- band compatible in the long run?
I have always had a very sensitive stomach. It doesn't happen with out reason but if I get nauseated I vomit, end of story. I can be nauseous for hours before it happens or seconds. And once the vomiting starts I can't stop. There has never been an over the counter or mother's remedy that has worked for me. I have even vomited prescription anti-emetic medication. I did bring this up with my surgeon before surgery and he assured me that nausea is not a side effect of the band so I should be OK. What he didn't realize or failed to think about was that getting stuck or being tight can cause nausea. If the answer is No, removal is my only option. If the answer is Yes, then the next question comes into play:
Is there a tolerable fill level for me?
I had an un-fill in both Feb & March and no fills in between or since. Is there a fill level that would give me meaningful restriction during the majority of the month with out closing me off during my oh so special time when I'm retaining water? Do I want to risk another slip or some other complication possibly requiring a 3rd surgery trying to find out? I don't think so. Leaving it in there unused doesn't appeal to me either.
All signs are pointing toward removal at this point in time. I know I have my nutrition and eating habits well under control. I have established an active lifestyle in which my body *craves* exercise. I have dealt with the childhood trauma that was probably the underlying root of my over eating to begin with. I want to say I am 100% confident that I can make it on my own from here, but I wouldn't be human with out a small bit of fear.
So that's where I am at, as of today anyway. We'll see what the surgeon has to say when I see him on May 20th. My biggest non-medical concern right now is the cost. Not even going to go there right now.
Be well, everyone!
5 comments:
Continue to blog Sarah, I think having this support system can help too. You'll be fine I know. You're strong!
Whatever you decide, we are all right here with you. I'm with Amanda....please please please keep blogging about this.
thank you so much for sharing your thought process in such detail. Of course I'm hoping I am never faced with this dilemma, but it's good to see the considerations that need to be discussed. Good luck.
Yes, please keep posting!
I completely understand your concern regarding cost, etc.
Hopefully your surgeon will have good news for you when you see him on the 20th!
I add my support! We are all here for you, no matter what you decide. I hope for the best things, wherever your path takes you.
Post a Comment