Wednesday, June 9, 2010

3 lbs down & other stuff

Decided to weigh myself for the first time this week and discovered I am down 3 lbs from the last time I checked! Yay! I have been practicing the *mindful eating* my surgeon promotes so that it's not a complete culture shock once I am banded. I also joined thedailyplate.com to track my calories, protein, & fiber intake. It really opened my eyes to the caloric value of things I eat often. I had thought baked chicken wings were fairly healthy and while they do have a lot of protein the are pretty high calorie especially if I eat 10 of them for dinner tossed in BBQ sauce and dipped in lite ranch. YUM but OMG that's over 1000 calories!! Won't be doing that again at least not x10. The day before yesterday was kind of hard I didn't have much to do around the house and was bored, I tend to graze when I'm bored. Yesterday was easier, I had errands to run and The Girl called me to pick her up from school because of an ear ache which I ended up running her to the Dr for. (Ear canal scratched & full of wax.) I don't think about eating so much when I'm busy, but I also forget to drink my water too. Need to work on that.

I still need to call my pcp to have him send the letter of recommendation to the surgeon and I need to my diet history sheet. My 2 day food log is done. Had some second thoughts the other day, just because I have seen some success with this mindful eating and increased activity. When I realized that I had eaten my self allotted portion of home made breaded chicken tenders & veggies but couldn't help picking at the kids' plates as I was clearing the table I don't quite have enough self control to just stop and say no when the food is good. I really think the band will be the tool I need to help in the way I need. Second thoughts banished to the back of my mind for the time being.

Hubby is out of town until Saturday afternoon, he left for training in Salt Lake City on Sunday morning. I don't know why but I have a super tough time turning off the TV and going to sleep when he's gone. I used to not be able to sleep well at all so this is an improvement. I've been setting the sleep timer on the tv and putting on a low-key movie before snuggling down to sleep. Ferris Bueler's Day Off is available free On-Demand, I've "watched" it every night since he's been gone.

School is almost out for the kids, thank goodness. I know as much as I look forward to it come August I'll be just as ready for school to start back up. This year has been particularly tough on the homework front for both of them. They both have the "homework is pointless & stupid" attitude and a case of the lazies. I tried yelling and nagging. I tried bargaining, rewards, & punishment. Finally I just kind of gave up and decided to let them suffer the consequences of their actions or non-actions as the case may be. Resulted in an F in Social Studies for The Girl (6th grade). And less than stellar marks for The Boy (3rd grade). Suddenly faced with the possibility of summer school The Girl pulled her act together and has brought her grade up to a B+. The Boy, well he's not failing per se but is being given more leeway due to a non-specific learning disability. He'll do the math and 20 mins of required reading each night but won't do the written summary for the book(s). So frustrating.

Oh and Nutella is the devil's work. That is all.

6 comments:

DB said...

Peanut Butter is the evil too!!! Thanks for the kind words you wrote on my blog. I look forward to following your journey too!

Gwen said...

Amen about Nutella. I try desperately not to buy the stuff because I'll eat it all in like one day on bananas and try and convince myself it is healthy. You know...potassium and all that. :)

Amanda Kiska said...

Sometimes letting kids experience the consequences is the best lesson. Good job, Mom!

Girl Bandit said...

Well done

Christine said...

Nutella. Oh yummers.

Man, that's a tough call about your kids and their grades. My parents used to bribe me to care about my grades. They paid me something like $10 for every A I received and $2 for every B. Nothing for a C or lower. This method worked great when I was younger...not so well when I was in high school. I don't have kids so I don't know how to motivate them to do well. I guess it depends on the kid?

Christine
(phoenixrevolution.net)

Island Bandit said...

Sarah - I like the point you made about lacking the self control to stop picking after you were done eating. One of the issues I'm toying with is why I'd need the band if I'm successful in losing weight by following the programme set out by my nutritionist.... your observation helps me come to grips with this!