Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wait, ... what?

So I emailed the insurance coordinator handling my file at the clinic to check my status. I asked 3 specific questions. Her reply was disjointed and confusing, kind of like all of our other conversations. Here's what I could gather.

~Yes she received my food log & diet history. Good, not lost in the mail.

~No she hasn't gotten the 5 yrs of chart notes. She usually needs help getting them, did I request them? Lady, you said you would do that because they wanted $$ for the copies if I picked them up but would be free Dr to Dr. I emailed you the same day with the info to contact those offices. *eye roll*

~I'm not familiar with Dr. H***** (my pcp). Dr. M**** (surgeon) has your chart and is doing your history and physical. Wait, what?? I didn't ask if you knew him! You told me to have my pcp send a letter of medical recommendation. Did you get it or not?

I understand I'm not the only patient she's dealing with but the least she can do is keep notes on what she told me in the first place, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt this time and say she probably didn't have my chart in front of her since she said the Dr has it.

I am going to go to town tomorrow and authorize/request the notes she wants. I'll even pay for them if necessary if it will speed up the process. It sure feels a lot like doing her job for her though. Why couldn't I have just signed an authorization to release the info so she could make the requests herself? I'd ask her that but I'm afraid of the answer I might get.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

And I will comment back at you and join your journey. I didn't have to go through the insurance crap (thank god) but have followed many others who are working their way through the process. It will come. Frustrating but you will finally get there. Hope it's sooner rather than later. I saw your icon pic on my followers and wondered who you were so welcome. I look forward to seeing your posts.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there honey. I would be as pushy as I could be. Get as much done as you can on your own if it helps to speed up the process. Good luck to you.

Christine said...

Yes she certainly seems disorganized! My surgeon's office has REALLY bad receptionists and I had a bad experience with the nurse practitioner, but I have to say that the woman that was in charge of dealing with insurance and scheduling the surgery and getting all the required info...Kim was freaking phenomenal. She was on top of EVERYTHING. Your chick sounds like she's spinning around on a loose wheel.

You sound like you have the right plan. Get the files yourself and drop them off. Make some phonecalls. But above all else, make sure you make copies of all the files yourself because this goofy woman is going to "misplace" them and you'll have to go through this hassle all over again. Make copies!!!

-Grace- said...

That is frustrating. I hate when it's abundantly clear that the person I'm working with either has no idea what I'm talking about and is just pretending or needs to get more information and doesn't just admit it!

I hope you get this sorted out when you get to town :)

Sarah G said...

It's now out of my hands, I signed releases, told them what to send and where to send it. No charge for that. ;)