I signed up to be a part of the 2nd annual Freeze Your Thorns Off 5k hosted by The Boring Runner. So I dedicated the first 3.1 miles of my 10 mile run on Saturday to the race. The weather was cool in the upper 40's I think, clear and dry! My lap times were:
Lap 1 10:30
Lap 2 10:35
Lap 3 10:09
Those times put me at 3 miles in 31:14, unfortunately I forgot to make note of the time at 3.1 miles and can't figure out how to have the Garmin Training Center show it to me since I can't make the graph distance/time or time/distance. I'm guessing around 32:00 give or take a few secs.
I started in the parking lot of the Lake Terrell Wildlife Area where my husband and son were duck hunting. I brought them hot cocoa and decided to go ahead and start there since the county roads around there have nice wide shoulders. What I hadn't really anticipated were the hills in the area. Sure I've driven them a million times and biked some of them a couple of times but running them is a whole 'nother thing. Whew! I really didn't intend to go out so fast and when I saw my first mile time I tried to slow down, it didn't work apparently, at least not until mile four which came in at 10:56. Once I got out of the wildlife area the scenery changed from lakes and trees to refineries and cow pastures for the most part. I had planned 12 miles for the day but got a later start than I had planned. The light was starting to drop around the time I hit 7 miles and I knew I was only about 3 miles out from the truck but decided to turn around anyway. I had already had a couple of scares where I could tell the instant a passing driver caught sight of me and they started to drift straight towards me. A painted white line and 5 ft of pavement isn't much of a barrier when cars are barreling by at 45+ mph. I didn't want to risk it. Ditch diving isn't a sport I partake in. :)

2 comments:
Maybe a high visability vest or something for those runs that go a little later than expected :o)
I run on our road, it use to be dirt and safe, now it's tarred and not. I will admit I drive faster now it's tarred but I am the only one from my house to the highway that walks/runs it so I'm careful not to hit me :o) but I do understand the scares. You did awesome though.
Blessings!!!
Post a Comment