Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tax Refund Happy Dance

I got our final piece of paperwork yesterday and was able to e-file our taxes. We are getting a pretty hefty refund again this year. YAY! Yes, we know hubby's W-4 could be adjusted for more cash in hand through the year but our history has proved time and time again that we can not save worth a damn. A tax refund affords us the opportunity to have a chunk of $ to take care of things with. Ideally we would throw it all towards our outstanding debt but historically this never works out either. So here are our plans so far...
  • Put back at least $1000 for an emergency fund
  • Payoff a loan against hubby's 401k
  • Pay 10% of the balance of each of our credit cards
  • Do a huge grocery trip to stock up the pantry and freezers
  • Taxidermy for my deer and Wyatt's beautiful Pin-tail duck (need the freezer space)
  • Buy me an elliptical and possibly a home gym weight set
  • Let Hubby have some to do with what he pleases
  • Spend some on the kids
Between paying down the balances on our credit cards and refinancing our vehicle loans to lower rates (just happened last night, reduced the payments by $304/mo) we will be creating a bit of breathing room in our finances. We've been getting by on a wing and a prayer lately, living paycheck to paycheck, charging gas and/or groceries occasionally because all of our cash was going to minimum payments. This is such a huge relief. 


On another happy note I am down 2 lbs from last week, 144.6 this morning. YAY!

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my Nana's passing. I thought about her all day and had a candle burning in her honor. This morning I made a Dutch Baby for breakfast, she used to make them the morning after a holiday when the family had all stayed over night. Not a diet food for sure but I only ate half of what I made and I have a run planned for today. :)

I hope everyone has a great day today. Make good choices!!

Live well, Laugh Often, Love Much!!!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

That is awesome, I am so happy for you!!! I would love to lower my car payments. We haven't done our taxes yet, but we are hoping to get some back and not have to pay this year. :)

jennxaz said...

I love Dutch babies! Congrats on the refund

Caron said...

Yea for a loss and a refund. Two good things. :)

Sarah said...

Good things coming your way, and that sounds like quite a refund. :oD

Congratulations xx

Rhonda said...

I'm relieved for you that you're getting a great return. Definitely buy yourself something nice - you deserve it. :)