Thursday, August 26, 2010

Finally getting serious!

Here I am 18 days out from surgery and I'm ready to get serious about making an effort to lose weight. Yeah, I cut calories pre-operatively on my own accord and then stuck to the pre-op diet like glue. Lost 10 pounds with little to no extra activity. I lost 6 pounds the first week by being on liquids only, the second week I held steady but started to notice changes in my body. My Dr wants his patients to focuses on healing and nutrition not weight loss the first 2 weeks so I was OK with that. This week I'm back on "regular" food and have come to realize that I don't have much, if any, restriction. If I drink very cold water I can literally feel it hit the very bottom of my stomach. I am eating "properly" but start to feel hungry after 2 or so hours. I've been drinking a lot more water to curb that so I don't snack but it's all willpower at this point. I have my first fill on September 9th and I can hardly wait!

I saw a 3 pound gain yesterday morning that startled the hell out of me until I realized that my TOM is coming very soon. But still, it's time to start exercising in a serious manner! I took the kids on a little walk yesterday afternoon. It was a dirt/gravel road through an forest, a little hilly but nothing too strenuous. "I'm hot." (Two 4 year olds are now topless.) "I'm thirsty." (Stop and pull out water bottles.) "My feet hurt." (Sorry I told you not to wear those shoes.)  "I'm tired." (Too bad, get up!) "Are we done yet?" (NOOOO!) All in the first 100 yards. So this morning I hopped on my treadmill, which has been sitting unused in the garage for over 9 months. I had visitors every few minutes for my entire work out ("When's my turn?" "Are you done yet?" "He/she did this, that, or the other to me."  I must have yelled "GET OUT!" 100 times.) and the Hubster called from work 2x. Did he really think I was going to put my workout on hold to look for something he swore he took to work with him?? Oh hells yes he did. Silly man! He ended up finding said missing item in his own truck under a mountain of junk in the back seat. How'd that get there? I dunno, you drive like a bat out of hell sending your stash of junk tumbling around?? But I digress, I did a 10 minute warm up at 2.5mph, 15 mins at 3mph, then I bumped it up to 3.5mph for about 5 mins and then I raised the incline 1% walked for 1 min and raised the incline again. Got up to 7% before I worked it back down to 1%, the rest was a gradual slowing over about 12 mins. My total time was 60 mins with a distance of 3.01 miles! According to the machine I burned 266 calories, not sure if I trust it completely but that's what I entered into my Fitness on Livestrong.com. It's a start, right?!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I've been banded longer than you so I guess this means I need to get serious too. I have been consistently losing an average of 2 lbs a week, but this week only lost 1.4. I had my fill last week and did feel a little restriction, so I'm a little surprised I didn't lose more, bur haven't done any exercise. Guess it's time!

Crazed Nitwit said...

You just keep on working up a routine, it'll begin to make sense at some point, right?

Jen said...

Sounds like a great walk on the treadmill. :)

Taking kiddoes out walking can be a mixed bag, for sure. I need to get mine out and doing it more, even if it's not up to 'workout' speeds, it's good for all of us. :D

You'll find workouts that work for you over time! I mix mine up so I don't get TOO bored with the whole thing. heheh