Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Heart is Breaking

I mentioned a while back that one of my best friends from junior high has been battling what started out as cervical cancer. When I found out about it I knew that the outcome wasn't going to be her beating it for a second time. Her last update on Face.bo0k was that a scan had showed the cancer had spread to her bones. That was in late June. I have been thinking of her a lot lately and finally got up the courage to email her cousin for an update last night. Here is what she wrote back:
 
Hi Sarah. I wish I could give u better news but she is not doing well at all. The cancer has taken over. She has been pretty much bed ridden for the last several months due to the pain and pain meds. She is taking heavy doses of morphine and her hospice nurse says she probably only has days left. A week or two at the most. She hasn't eaten in I don't know how long. She is having trouble even drinking now. She can barely speak and is very weak. It's so sad to see her this way. My heart just breaks for her and her girls. I have been taking the girls on the weekends whenever I can. (She) and (husband) haven't even told them that she has cancer. It's going to be devastating for them when (she) goes. I will let u know if anything changes.
(Cousin) 
 Her girls are just 8 and 5. I remember from the time I met her in 7th grade that she wanted to be a mom more than anything. She was told as a young woman that she had an odd shaped, tilted uterus and it would be difficult for her to get pregnant. It took a long time but it finally happened. I was so happy for her when she called and told me she was pregnant the first time I rushed over to see her. She brought the baby in to see me at work shortly after she was born and a couple more times in the year following. I didn't see her again for nearly 3 years at our 10yr high school reunion and she was pregnant again! That was the last time I saw her, five years ago. 
She and I had a special bond. We kind of went our separate ways early in high school but there was never any hard feelings about it. No matter how long it had been since we had talked or seen each other we could just fall right back in like no time had passed at all. She was my first partner in crime. She was the first and only person I sneaked out with (and got caught once) to meet boys. She was the first person I had alcohol with. (Spiced rum and orange juice don't mix, same silly boys.) I bought us Best Friend pendants (a round pendant cut down the middle with a heart on each side) at a fair and had them engraved with our names, I still have the half with her name on the back. 
I don't want to see her sick and dying but I wish I could at least go to whatever service her family has for her. Unfortunately I know I won't be able to due to the distance and financial constraints.

I'm not religious but if you could spare a thought or prayer that she doesn't suffer in her final days and that her husband and children find peace when she is gone I'd really appreciate it. 
Live, Laugh, Love! (She has this all over her F.B page.)


12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, honey, I am so sorry. Of course you and your friend will be in my thoughts. I'm not necessarily religious, but do believe that there is some kind of afterlife. My mom passed away 3 years ago and there were too many signs after she died that made me feel that she was trying to reach me. Nothing crazy like ghostly images, but signs that were too obvious to explain away. Hopefully your friend will find peace.

Kim said...

I am so sorry Sarah. You and your friend and her family are in my prayers.

Alison said...

How awful, I'm so sorry for her and her friends and family.

Sam said...

Your friend and her family are in my thoughts.

Amanda said...

Of course a prayer and a thought are sent! Could you give her a quick call? IT might lift her spirit a little to know you are thinking of her and she is loved!

Crazed Nitwit said...

I am so sorry. Prayers going out.

My MIL died yesterday(in no pain) and I believe she's in heaven with my son(her grandson of course). HUGS and empathy.

I lost a great friend not too long ago from breast cancer. She was 40. It's hard.

Allow yourself time to grieve when she passes and please take care of yourself!!!

Beth said...

Cancer is such a sad disease, to watch friends and family whither away and then families have to go on ofter losing loved ones. I have lost a grandmother and an aunt to cancer and have another aunt with cancer, so I understand your pain and the fears for her family.

-Grace- said...

I am sorry. I will be sending her all the good vibes I can. *HUGS*

Janelle said...

How sad... for everyone involved. I am so sorry.

Jen said...

I am so sorry for all the pain of something like this. You're all in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Sarha, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It is truly sad.

Liz said...

I'm so sorry, Sarah. Cancer really sucks. My father is currently battling it, and it's the most heartbreaking thing ever.