9 years ago in January 2002 my husband, daughter (age 4), son (age 1), and I went the Anchorage Animal Control facility to look for a dog. We didn't know who we were looking for until we found her. Her paperwork said she was found running loose on the opposite end of town from where we lived. It said she was an approximately 1 year old Lab/Setter mix, weighed 60 pounds, was house trained, and appeared to be well mannered. We all liked her and she seemed to like us so we decided to adopt her. We took her home the same day and my husband named her Jessie.
The next week we took Jessie to a vet for a check up and to get spayed. He told us she was most likely only about 10 months old and still had some growing to do. *smile* We thought a 60 pound dog was large enough, but OK. She eventually topped out at about 90 pounds.
Through the years she has been a loyal, protective, loving dog. Her worst habit was stealing food occasionally. I can't even count how many unattended PB&J's she ate over the years. Under the dining room table was her domain, if it hit the floor it was hers. The night before we left Alaska to move Washington we left her with a friend because the hotel we were staying at wouldn't allow her in the room, she cried in my friend's yard all night long and just about jumped out of her skin when we came to get her the next day. She was protective of her family, even friends of ours she had met before were weren't welcome after dark if my husband wasn't home.
She's been with us through a lot. Sometimes as an annoying pain in the butt but a beloved family member all the same. She's been slowing down some but up until recently always had enough energy to give the cat a good run for her money across the yard, along with any unsuspecting crows she happened to see out there. None of the other birds bother her, but crows? She hates them.
In January of this year she started limping off and on. I started giving her aspirin and glucosamine. Labs and their hips, ya know, there's just not much you can do. The limp got worse and worse until about a month ago when she just stopped putting her right back foot down at all and started hopping on three legs. Now the other back leg is showing signs of weakness, she's having trouble laying down. Getting back up is even worse. Her eyesight seems to be going too, she has turned and bumped her head on doorways and chairs quite often lately. I can't seem to get her pain under control, I'm afraid of upsetting her stomach by giving her too much aspirin, she lays around panting and it's nowhere near hot.
We, as a family, have decided that tomorrow we will let her go. I know she is suffering right now and letting her go is for the best but it doesn't make it any easier. Tonight she'll get all the pizza crusts she wants, lick all the plates, and get her medicine wrapped in sandwich meat. Farewell tomorrow my sweet Jessie-dog, you're the best we've ever had.
14 comments:
So sorry about your pup, Sarah. My thoughts will be with you guys!
Losing a beloved pet is never easy. Recognizing that her quality of life stinks right now is difficult too. My prayers are with you and your family. She is a pretty dog.
:( losing a loving member of the family is devastating. My thoughts are with you and you family.
I am seriously fighting back tears. Dogs are members of the family and we had to let our dog of 17 years go not that long ago. There are very few days that go by that I don't think of her! Not to mention the new dog my husband and I have. I refused to like her has much as I do and now she is my baby. Labs most of the time have horrible hip trouble! I am so sorry for your loss!
My dog is experiencing similar things. Its so sad to see our friends age!! (((HUGS))) to you and your family.
*hugs* I'm sorry about poor Jessie.
maybe it's because i just this morning picked my adopted dog up from her foster home to take to the groomers before taking her for our first night in the new house.... but your post has me bawling. Losing a family member (human or canine) is hard. You're doing the right thing by her though as hard as it is. Hugs for tomorrow and spoil the hell out of her today and tonight!
I think anyone who has had to go through this is sad and now I am sitting here like a blubbering fool as I too had to make that decision Aug 8, 2008 with our black Lab Zoe...my heart goes out to you and wish you all the best in keeping the memories alive!
Oh Sarah...I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is just as hard as losing a family member. We had to put our old man cat (he was 22) to sleep about a year and a half ago, and it was heartbreaking. We missed not only him, but having pets, so we adopted 2 goofy kittens from the backyard and that helped a bit. Take your time, but when you're ready, don't hesitate to get another dog! It really does help healing, and you're not replacing them...just making new memories.
Oh, I'm so, so sorry. That is a horribly tough thing to have to do. Hugs.
I am so so sorry to hear about your sweet Jessie. I live ina world where most dogs are better than people, and so many people just don't understand how they really are part of the family. I know you will miss her so much.
(((HUGS)))
I can hardly read this without crying. We recently put down one of our cats after a year long battle with mammory cancer. We loved her so much ahd knew as soon as she showed any sign of suffering we would have to do the right thing. That was a hard day, and many hard weeks after... but it was the right thing. You are also doing the right thing. I am so sorry for you and your family!
Mother's Day 2002, Da-Ha, 13 yrs. He passed on his own in his favorite spot on the couch. I was 21 and had to leave work early when I got the phone call,I couldn't stop crying. He was the little brother I never had. My sis was the only one home with him and they were just 9 months apart. mokah is my chocolate lab/ american bull mix, she's 6, my kids love her. I can't imagine how things will happen for us when her time comes. It is SO hard losing that family member, but I'm sure Jessie is grateful you recognized her time was upon you. ((hugs))
I'm so sorry. It is heartbreaking,especially when they are that "special" animal. But it's the right thing to do, and the kindest thing for her. ((hugs))
Post a Comment